Thank you Tillamook for sponsoring this post. For a limited time this fall, try Tillamook’s Extra Sharp White Cheddar Slices! Available at Costco.
First thing’s first: will you just look at this?! Homemade filling topped with a thick slice of cheese, smushed in between a toasted bun – extra sloppy hand-held bliss!
I grew up eating the packaged stuff aka Manwich. Not ashamed to admit that I still love the comforting taste and smell of it but not a fan of all the junk packed inside, so I started to make my own. We’re talking real ingredients. The ones on that you can actually pronounce.
In between a hectic few months – I’ve been gravitating towards simple one pan meals that are on the healthier side. Having a stack of family favorite one pan meals not only saves the day for us; it makes life easy. It’s quick, almost no clean up, and it helps us feel like we have our act together.
This recipe makes quite a lot for our little family of 2, so we enjoy the leftovers throughout the week. Since then, I’ve made it 3 more times and froze some of it too. Think: over a baked sweet potato, by itself, or topped on spaghetti squash. It’s fantastically versatile. But my absolute favorite way, one that takes me back to my childhood – smushed between a bun with Tillamook Extra Sharp White Cheddar Slices on top. Tillamook is a brand that I love and is my first pick when it comes to cheese. Recently they introduced, for the first time ever, Tillamook Extra Sharp White Cheddar Slices. It’s made with only three simple ingredients and then naturally aged for 15 months to achieve that tangy perfection. To top it off, it’s available at Cotsco through November!
Alright, let me walk you through how easy it is.
- Sautè the diced pepper and onion until soft.
- Add in the ground turkey until almost cooked through.
- Add in the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
I’m already dreaming up other variations of this like a skillet chili, or ground turkey & broccoli… if I make it, I’ll be sure to share the recipes on the blog!
This is so savory, so easy, so comforting, and so damn good. ♥
Homemade Healthier Sloppy Joes.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced (about 1/2 small onion)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound 93-97% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (red or white)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pack brioche bun
- 1 pack Tillamook Extra Sharp White Cheddar Slices
- In a large skillet (12 inch - like this one) over medium heat, heat the oil for 1 minute. Add the onion, pepper, and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until they start to get soft. Add the ground turkey. Sauté until browned and almost cooked through, breaking up with a spoon as you go— about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and ending with the chicken stock. Then reduce to medium-low heat, cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Scoop the hot mixture onto a bun and add a slice of Tillamook Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese. Serve on a bun.
PIN IT for later!
Also can’t forget about this simple pulled pork. ♥
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.