This pesto bruschetta chicken is made with simple feel-good ingredients and is on the table in 35 minutes! This recipe has layers of flavors from the pesto, to the bruschetta, to the chicken. It’s a rave-worthy recipe that will be on repeat no matter the time of year!
Looking for a quick and flavorful dinner that’s on the healthier side because of all those cookies? This recipe brings variety to the dinner table and tastes phenomenal. It’s so easy and satisfying.
I don’t know about you, but I crave fresh tomatoes no matter the time of year. I really, really love fresh tomatoes.
Tell Me About This Pesto Bruschetta Chicken
- Flavor: There are so many layers of flavor in this recipe which is why I LOVE it so much. From the pesto, to the bruschetta to the chicken, it’s packed with flavor.
- Ease: We have a no-fuss recipe on our hands today. It may look a bit complex, but I swear that it’s not. There are two parts— the bruschetta and the chicken.
- Time: This recipe will take you only 40 minutes from start to finish. I promise. It’s the perfect recipe for those busy week nights.
Ingredients For Pesto Bruschetta Chicken
- Chicken: You can use any type of chicken that you prefer. I normally have chicken breast always on hand so that’s what I used.
- Pesto: You can make your own or use store-bought. I use store-bought about half the time. This is the pesto I love when using store-bought.
- Tomatoes: You can use your favorite tomatoes. You just want to make sure that you cut them into bite size pieces.
- Basil: You just need a small handful of basil leaves chopped.
- Garlic: Lots of garlic for that bruschetta!
- Lemon Juice: Fresh lemon juice for the bruschetta.
- Olive Oil: A little bit for the bruschetta and a little bit for the chicken.
- Salt & Pepper: We’re going back to the basics for seasoning the chicken. It doesn’t need much since we have the pesto and the bruschetta.
Talk To Me About The Pesto
I like to call this “The 5-Minute Pesto” because it truly is. When basil isn’t in season, I use store-bought but you can also use store-bought year round to make this pesto bruschetta chicken even easier!
- Basil: You need a total of 1.5 cups of fresh basil leaves. I grab the basil 1-2 days ahead of time.
- Nuts: Typically pesto has pine nuts but it’s rare that I have them on hand so I used walnuts. Feel free to use either.
- Garlic: Garlic lovers unite! We’re using a few cloves of garlic for this.
- Olive Oil: The olive oil adds richness and helps smooth out the pesto.
- Salt & Pepper: Both are to taste.
- Parmesan Cheese: This gives it a nice bite.
- Lemon Juice: We don’t need much, just enough to give it enough brightness and add fresh flavor.
Ok, Now Tell Me How To Make It
- Start with the Pesto: If you’re making fresh pesto, start here that way it’s done and ready to use.
- Make the Bruschetta: In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Give it a stir and set it aside until you’re ready to use it. You can make the bruschetta up to 3 days in advance.
- Season the Chicken: Add a drizzle of olive oil on the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook the Chicken: The chicken takes about 10-12 minutes depending on how thick the chicken is that you’re using. You want a good crust on the chicken so don’t move it too much.
- Add the Mozzarella: A few minutes prior to the chicken being done, add the mozzarella to the chicken. Cover the pan with a lid to help the mozzarella melt.
- Add the Pesto & Bruschetta: Remove the chicken from the pan. To the chicken, add some pesto and top with bruschetta.
Try this for your next dinner recipe!
Pesto Bruschetta Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped (about 1.5-2 cups)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh chopped basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Start with the Pesto: Add all of the pesto ingredients, except the olive oil into a food processor. Pulse a few times to break down the ingredients. While pulsing, slowly add the olive oil. Pulse until almost smooth. Set aside.
- Make the Bruschetta: In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Give it a stir and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning once, depending on the thickness of the chicken. You want the chicken nice and browned on the outside while fully cooked inside. About 2-3 minutes prior to the chicken being finished, top each with mozzarella cheese. Cover with a lid to melt the cheese. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Add a 1-2 Tablespoons of pesto overtop the mozzarella cheese. Then, evenly top the chicken with the bruschetta mixture. Serve immediately.
- Leftovers stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Make Ahead Instructions: The pesto and bruschetta can be made up to 3 days in advance. I prefer to make these ahead as it helps the flavor develop even more.
- Chicken: You can use either chicken breasts or thighs for this recipe.
- Cheese: I prefer to use freshly sliced mozzarella but you can also used shredded mozzarella.
- Pesto: This recipe can be made with either homemade pesto (in the recipe card or your own!) or store-bought.