This super simple crispy breakfast potato hash is prepared in a skillet and combines all the breakfast classics into one dish! There's potatoes, peppers, onions, sausage, and eggs. One stop for all your breakfast needs!
This recipe is brought to you in partnership with alfresco.
Sorry avocado egg toast I've moved on— say hello to my new favorite breakfast. The good news is that today's breakfast potato hash is actually pretty wholesome, combining fresh ingredients with real flavor. The great news is that it's made in a skillet.
The Secret to Crispy Breakfast Potato Hash
If you follow these 2 tips, I guarantee you will have the crispiest potatoes.
- Potatoes are loaded with moisture. After shredding the potatoes you want to rid as much moisture as possible. The less moisture in the potatoes, the more crisp they will get. The easiest way to do this is to shred the potatoes onto a kitchen towel
- You want to start the cooking process prior to the pan. All it takes is just a few minutes in the microwave to par cook.
Crispy Breakfast Potato Hash Ingredients
One of the best things about this recipe is that there's not many ingredients.
- Sausage: I prefer to use chicken sausage and a go-to brand for me is alfresco. The country style chicken sausage is my favorite.
- Potatoes: Any potato works for this recipe— I've used red, gold, white, and sweet potatoes. They all taste just as good!
- Peppers & Onions: What's a hash without these?! You can use any type of peppers and onion.
- Eggs: You can use any size that you have on hand. My go-to eggs are Vital Farms.
- Spices: There's a combination of salt, pepper, dried parsley, and garlic powder. Not much, but those three spices give the potatoes the perfect flavor.
This recipe is for those weekend mornings where you want to make breakfast but don't want to make breakfast. If you know what I mean. We all deserve a relaxing morning.
Now, let's make potato hash! Because YOU deserve it!
Crispy Breakfast Potato Hash Skillet
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (7.5oz) pack alfresco chicken breakfast sausage, chopped
- 3 medium Russet or Gold potatoes, washed and scrubbed clean
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sweet onion (about 1/2 onion)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- Shred the potatoes by using the largest holes in a box grater. There's no need to peel the potatoes, but you can if you want. Place the shredded potatoes in a large bowl lined with paper towels or a dish towel. Top with more paper towels or dish towel and press down hard to release the moisture. You want most of the moisture gone— keep squeezing and use new paper towels as needed.
- Place the potatoes on a plate lined with paper towels. Cook in the microwave for 3 minutes. Set the potatoes aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Over medium heat in an oven-safe 10-inch skillet, add the olive oil and the sausage. Cook until slightly crispy on the outside. Remove from the skillet. Add the potatoes to the skillet and give it to stir. Let the potatoes sit for 3 minutes. Then, add the chopped pepper, chopped onion, garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir the potatoes, then flatten everything out into the skillet. Allow to cook, untouched, for another 3-4 minutes. Stir, then cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and flatten out the hash. Then, using a spoon, making 3 shallow holes into the hash. Crack an egg into each hole. Place the skillet into the oven and bake until the egg whites are set, about 8-10 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Make Ahead Tip: The peppers and onions can be chopped up to 2 days prior. Leftovers keep in the refrigerator for 1 day.
- Potatoes: Any potato can be used for this recipe. There's no need to peel the potatoes, unless you prefer it.
- Sausage: Feel free to use any type of breakfast meat that you prefer. I've made this with sausage, chicken sausage, bacon, and ham. All are equally delicious!
- Eggs: Up to 6 eggs can fit into the skillet.