This chicken salad recipe is easy to make, just one bowl, and ready in minutes. Perfect on crusty whole grain bread or with crackers. You’ll never want store-bought again!
Like many of us right now, I’ve been stocking the refrigerator and pantry with basics the past several weeks. (It’s been refreshing but I sure do miss going out.) This includes granola, meatballs, and pulled pork. With warmer days around the corner it seemed like the perfect opportunity to switch things up a bit for lunches.
While I’ve been making this chicken salad recipe for years— it’s in regular rotation in the summer, I recently made a few small adjustments to it that make it even better. (Is that even possible?)
Why You NEED To Try This Chicken Salad Recipe
- From mixing bowl to refrigerator in 15 minutes
- Made in just one bowl
- 8 simple ingredients
- So many textures
- Incredibly satisfying
- Stays fresh for up to 5 days
It’s a fact: This disappears in 2 days.
As much as I love chicken salad, I refuse to buy it from the grocery store. While more convenient, store-bought is incredibly expensive, and very bland. This recipe is so simple that I make a double batch to last us for the week. The ingredient list is relatively small and comes together quick.
Chicken Salad Ingredients
- Chicken: The star of the show. I normally use rotisserie chicken but you can also use leftover chicken.
- Onion: Adds crunch and zesty flavor. I prefer to use red onion, but any type of onion can be used.
- Celery: Adds crunch.
- Parsley: This is for freshness.
- Mayonnaise: Provides a creamy texture. You can also substitute in some Greek yogurt if you prefer. See the notes in the recipe.
- Salt/Pepper: To taste!
- Lemon juice: Adds a little tartness.
How To Make Chicken Salad
It’s really, really simple. All the ingredients are combined together in a large bowl. Stir together until everything is evenly coated.
I told you it was simple.
Serve it piled high on multigrain bread, with crackers, in a tortilla, or even in a salad.
One Bowl Chicken Salad Recipe
- 3 cups chopped or shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, optional
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, onion, celery, and parsley. Stir together.
- Add in the mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and lemon juice (if using), and stir together until everything is coated evenly.
- Make Ahead Instructions: The individual ingredients can be prepped ahead of time (a few days in advance.) The chicken salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Chicken: Any type of chicken can be used. I normally use rotisserie chicken since it’s easier.
- Onion: For best results, use red onion— though any type of onion will work.
- Mayonnaise: Any brand of mayonnaise works. You could also do 1/2 cup Greek yogurt and 1/2 cup of mayonnaise if you want.
- Lemon juice: This is optional. It tastes great with or without it. If using Greek yogurt, I recommend not adding the lemon juice.