This cream of mushroom soup recipe is easy, homemade, and satisfying. Just a few ingredients paired with tons of mushrooms and this soup will have your mouth watering as it cooks.
Truly though, it is the best. I know I say that a lot but it really is.
I find that most cream of mushroom soups that I've had lack mushrooms. How? Not sure. It is called cream of MUSHROOM soup after all. This soup is loaded with mushrooms— so fellow mushroom lovers, let's unite!
Let's dive right into this recipe!
Tell Me About This Cream Of Mushroom Soup
This is, by far, my favorite homemade cream of mushroom soup recipe. I've easily served this over 100 times by now not only because of it's easy but it's the most satisfying and comforting recipes. And, most important, this soup is made in just 1 pot!
There are 3 levels of flavors in the soup— (1) sautéing the mushrooms, onions, garlic, and spices, (2) the white whine and (3) letting the soup simmer.
Cream Of Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- Mushrooms: We're using a lot of mushrooms in this recipe. You can use any type of mushroom— I use baby bella mushrooms because they are my favorite and I typically always have them in the refrigerator.
- Onion: You can either use any type of white onion or even shallots.
- Garlic, Thyme, Parsley & Sage: I prefer the taste of fresh herbs and spices, but you can use dried if that's all you have. See the recipes notes for the adjustments.
- Flour: The flour is what makes the "roux" to thicken the soup. A roux is a mixture of butter and flour, that when liquid is added to it, it thickens it and creates the perfect texture.
- White Wine: The white whine adds not only another depth of flavor but also helps lift the bits of flavor from the bottom of the pan from sautéing the mushrooms and onions.
- Chicken Broth: You can use either chicken, beef or vegetable stock. I normally have either chicken or vegetable stock in the pantry so that's my go-to.
- Heavy Cream: Add some heavy cream at the end helps take the creaminess to the next level.
Just 4 Steps To Make This Soup!
- Sauté the Mushrooms, Onions & Garlic: For the most flavor, we're sautéing the mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter. You want to cook these until soft and the mushrooms release moisture. This will take about 10 minutes. It might look like you need to add liquid, but don't!
- Whisk in the Flour: Once the mushrooms release liquid, whisk in the flour. Let it cook for a 2-3 minutes to let the flour taste cook out.
- Add the White Wine & Chicken Broth: Start by whisking in the wine, then add the chicken stock.
- Stir in the Heavy Cream: Once the soup thickens, add in the heavy cream and let it simmer for a few minutes.
This homemade soup is... SO GOOD! It's time to roll up your sleeves and start this cream of mushroom soup!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 (8 ounce) baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup white onion, diced (about 1 medium)
- 3 teaspoons garlic
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy cream
- In a large pot or dutch oven, like this one, over medium-high heat, add the butter, mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Stir in the thyme, sage, parsley, salt and pepper. Sauteé until soft and the mushrooms release moisture— about 10 minutes. (It may look like you need to add liquid, but don't. Once the mushrooms cook there will be plenty.)
- Whisk in the flour and let it cook for 2-3 minutes to soak up the liquid. Stir in the wine, while scrapping the bottom of the pot to release the bits of flavor. Stir in the chicken broth. Allow the soup to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and let it summer for 2-3 minutes. Give it a taste to see if it needs more salt or pepper. Serve warm.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: The soup stays fresh when stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Heat as desired.
- Chicken Broth: You can use chicken, beef or vegetable broth.
- Spices: If you don't have fresh herbs, reduce the amounts to 1 teaspoon each.
- Wine: Any type of white wine works for this recipe. I normally grab a cheaper bottle.