This egg salad recipe is my favorite to make anytime of the year. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s incredibly flavorful. Truly the perfect make-ahead recipe for lunches for those busy weeks.
There are days where I look at the clock and somehow it’s already 2PM. I realize that I’m starving and have limited options for groceries. But I’ll tell you what I always have on hand— eggs! I immediately knew that I could make a delicious egg salad. Success!
I love simple and quick recipes that can easily double as breakfast, lunch or snack. Today’s egg salad is no exception. You’ll appreciate that this recipe has 6 basic ingredients and made in one bowl.
Why You’ll Love This Egg Salad Recipe
- Made in 1 bowl
- Quick & easy recipe– just 10 minutes
- Just 6 ingredients
- Can be made ahead
- Versatile– make a sandwich, serve with crackers or make a wrap
- A classic recipe
Egg Salad Ingredients
This egg salad recipe has just 6 basic ingredients— no surprises!
- Eggs: You need 8 large hard boiled eggs. If you don’t know how to hard boil eggs, take a look at how to make them here. Make sure the eggs are cooled before making the egg salad.
- Mayo: The mayo is what holds everything together.
- Mustard: The mustard adds a nice little tang to the egg salad without being too overpowering. You can use regular yellow mustard or whole grain mustard. Both are delicious, it’s just based on preference.
- Parsley: It adds freshness to the egg salad.
- Salt & Pepper: Both of these are for flavor. If you’re like me, add a bit more black pepper.
Overview: How To Make Egg Salad
It’s just 3 simple steps:
- Make the Hard Boiled Eggs: This is how I’ve made hard boiled eggs for years and it works every single time. This takes at most 12-14 minutes.
- Chop the Eggs: You want to chop the eggs in roughly even sizes but not too big otherwise the egg salad doesn’t come together as well.
- Add Everything Into a Bowl: Combine all the ingredients together and mix until everything is evenly coated. Give it a taste— you may want to add more salt or pepper. I personally love to add in extra black pepper.
Make This Recipe Lighter
If you’re someone that is looking for lighter recipes this time of year, you can easily adjust this recipe. While everyone has their own version of “healthy”, this recipe is packed with protein.
- Use Greek Yogurt: Make sure that you’re using unflavored Greek yogurt. You can either swap the mayo completely for Greek yogurt or you can use 1/2 cup mayo and 1/4 cup yogurt. The lower the fat of yogurt, the lower the calories and fat.
- Use the Egg Whites: Before you chop the hard boiled eggs, you can slice them in half and remove the yolk. While the yolk is healthy, it has higher fat. Or you can even do that for half the eggs.
- Use Avocado: If you’re an avocado fanatic like I am then you add mash or blend an avocado and use 1/4-1/2 cup mayo or Greek yogurt.
How Long Will It Stay Fresh?
I recommend only storing the egg salad for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If this is a recipe that you want for the week, you can hard boil extra eggs and then make more the later half of the week.
To be honest, I was never a huge fan of egg salad recipes, especially store bought. I found that they were too mushy, had way too much mayo or just an odd taste. This egg salad is nothing like that. It’s chunky and there’s just enough to hold the ingredients together.
The Best Egg Salad Recipe
- 8 large hard boiled eggs
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Roughly chop the hard boiled eggs— you don't want them too large but you also don't want them finely diced. Add the eggs to a large bowl.
- Add the mayo, mustard, dried parsley, salt and pepper. Stir together until combined. Give the egg salad a taste and add additional salt or pepper, if needed.
- Serve on toasted bread as a sandwich or with crackers.
- Make Ahead Instructions: The egg salad stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Mayo: To make this lighter, you can use 1/2 cup mayo and 1/4 cup Greek yogurt.
- Mustard: You can use whole grain mustard or regular yellow mustard.