This post is sponsored by Bakerly. You won't be able to get enough of this creamy pumpkin soup topped with grilled cheese croutons. It's hands-down the easiest soup recipe and one of the most comforting soups that you'll ever have!
This creamy pumpkin soup with grilled cheese croutons recipe is sponsored by Bakerly, whose products I've admired for quite some time and trust in my house. I'm thrilled to be partnering with them to show off their quality brioche bread today.
When brainstorming new recipes to make, I couldn't get soup out of my mind. Now that it's cold out, having soup is truly the ultimate comfort food— it not only keeps your hands warm but also provides comfort.
Tell Me About This Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- Flavor: It's hard to imagine pumpkin as being a savory, but it can be! This soup has a comforting flavor without being too overpowering. The pumpkin is the base with additions of spices like ginger, cinnamon and garlic.
- Texture: This soup is thicker and so incredibly creamy thanks to the addition of heavy cream.
- Ease: Making this soup is pretty uneventful. It's a one pot recipe that comes together quickly.
- Time: When I say that this recipe is quick, I mean it. It only takes about 20 minutes on the stove.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup Ingredients
- Pumpkin: We're using pumpkin puree in this recipe (either canned or fresh.) Make sure that it's pure pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Onion: To keep the soup creamy, we're using grated onion. Though, you can finally dice the onion if you prefer. It's the same trick I use for my mashed potato recipe.
- Chicken Broth: I prefer to use low-sodium broth as I find regular is too salty. If you use regular, reduce the salt and taste to add more. To keep this vegetarian or vegan, you can use vegetable broth.
- Heavy Cream: Here's where the soup really gets it's creaminess from. It's best to use a full fat heavy cream, though in a pinch you can use whole milk. To keep this vegetarian or vegan, you can coconut cream or milk.
- Ginger & Cinnamon: These spices are typically paired with pumpkin recipes though you mind think it's a bit odd in a savory recipe. Don't worry, neither are too overpowering and simple help bring out the pumpkin flavor.
- Parsley, Fresh Garlic, Salt & Pepper: These provide flavor, especially the salt.
- Bread: You need Bakerly brioche bread for the grilled cheese. You want thick bread. Bakerly offers a variety of types that you can choose from!
- Cheese: You can use your preferred cheese. For grilled cheese, I love using muenster cheese because it melts so well.
Overview: How To Make Creamy Pumpkin Soup
The full recipe is written below, but let me walk you at a high level the process. While it's an easy recipe, it's important to follow the full recipe in the correct order.
- Sauté the Butter, Onion & Garlic: This step is very important as it helps develop the base flavor for the soup. You want the onions to become very soft and translucent.
- Whisk in the Pumpkin Puree: As I mentioned above, make sure you are using pure pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. Whisk the pumpkin in and let it cook with the butter, onion and garlic.
- Whisk in the Chicken Broth & Spices: You want this mixture to simmer for 5 minutes so the spices start to do their job.
- Stir in the Cream: Adding the cream is what helps make this soup creamy. Let this simmer for only a few minutes and that's it!
Talk To Me About These Croutons!
I find that with most soups, I need texture— some type of crunch. That's where these grilled cheese croutons come in. Yes, GRILLED CHEESE CROUTONS!!
Bakerly is a regular bread in this house and I always have it on hand. We're making basic grilled cheese but it's important to get the bread nice and crisp.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup With Grilled Cheese Croutons
You won't be able to get enough of this creamy pumpkin soup topped with grilled cheese croutons. It's hands-down the easiest soup recipe and one of the most comforting soups that you'll ever have!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup grated yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 and ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Bakerly brioche bread
- 5-10 slices cheese
- In a large pot, like a dutch oven, over medium-high heat, add the butter, onion, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes to allow the onions to become soft and translucent.
- Whisk in the pumpkin puree and let it cook for 3 minutes with the onion/garlic mixture. Whisk in the chicken broth and spices. Bring the mixture to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and simmer for 2 minutes. Give it a taste to see if needs more salt and pepper— I typically add a little more salt.
- Make the Croutons: While the soup cools, or while it slightly cools, make the grilled cheese croutons. Heat a pan over medium heat. To the outside of 2 slices of Bakerly bread, spread on the butter.
- Place one of the slices of bread into the pan. Top with a few slices of cheese. Then, top with the other slice of bread with the butter side on top. Cover with a lid, cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until the cheese is melted and the outside is crispy.
- Remove from the pan and cut into bite size pieces. Spoon the soup into a bowl and top with the croutons.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: The soup stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Cooled soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or place frozen soup in a slow cooker on low to heat.
- Pumpkin: Make sure you use pumpkin pure not pumpkin pie filling.
- Chicken Broth: If you use regular chicken broth (not low-sodium) then reduce the salt to ½ teaspoon and add more to taste.
- Heavy Cream: Using heavy cream produces the creamiest soup but you can use whole milk in a pinch. If you need this recipe to be dairy free, then you can use full-fat coconut cream or milk.
- Bread: Bakerly offers a variety of bread types that you can use.
- Cheese: You can use your preferred cheese. For grilled cheese, I love using muenster cheese.
Thank you Bakerly for sponsoring this post.