If you want a from scratch traditional chili recipe, look no further. This chili recipe is made with ground turkey (or beef), bell peppers, onion, tomatoes, beans, and a variety of spices. This is a feel-good, hearty, cozy dinner that everyone will love!
As soon as the cooler weather hits, I immediately start craving a BIG bowl of chili. This is the chili recipe that I told you about the other day. It’s the one that we gobbled down in 45 degree weather with a fire going and a pile of dogs next to us.
Ah, that’s the perfect fall night.
This chili is super easy to make and the flavor is unbelievable. It’s not too spicy, not too tomato-y, and is can easily be customizable.
Why You’ll Love This Chili Recipe
- Made in one pot
- BIG flavor
- Leftover for days
- Easily customizable
- Almost no work
- Ground Turkey: We prefer to use ground turkey but you can easily substitute with ground beef.
- Olive Oil: Just a touch to start browning the ground turkey.
- Peppers: Any type of bell peppers work. I normally have red and green on hand so that’s what I used.
- Onion: I find that sweet onion works best.
- Tomatoes: The recipe calls for a combination of crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes.
- Beans: Light and/or dark kidney beans work best.
- Worcestershire Sauce: This adds a depth of flavor.
- Paprika, Chili Powder, Cumin, Dried Oregano: I call these the “classic chili spices.”
- Salt, Pepper & Garlic: Flavor!
How To Make Chili
What I love most about chili is you get tons of flavor with very little work.
- Sauté the Ground Turkey: Add the olive oil to the pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the ground turkey. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the Onion, Peppers & Garlic: Stir in the peppers, onion, and garlic. Sauté until the ground turkey is browned and cooked through, breaking up with a spoon as you go and the veggies are soft— about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the Tomatoes & Beans: Stir in the tomatoes (diced and crushed.)
- Add the Worcestershire Sauce & Spices: Add the Worcestershire sauce, paprika, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using.) Give it a big stir.
- Let it Cook: Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
This chili is truly the best. The spice is just right and a recipe that the family with love!
The Best Chili Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped (about 1 and 1/2 cups)
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15.5 ounce) light or dark kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, heat the oil for 1 minute. Add the ground turkey, peppers, onion, and garlic. Sauté until browned and cooked through, breaking up with a spoon as you go— about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes (diced and crushed) and beans. Add the Worcestershire sauce, paprika, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using.) Give it a big stir. Then, reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with desired toppings such as sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro, etc.
- Make Ahead Instructions: This chili can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- Beans: Any combination of beans work for this recipe. I normal have a ton of kidney beans so that’s what I used.