Let me show you how to make these baked chicken tacos. This is a recipe that is easy, delicious and made with just a handful of basic ingredients. These are the answer to busy week nights!
I asked you a few weeks ago what recipes that YOU wanted to see and tacos were at the top of list. I knew you were my type of people. It's not an exaggeration when I say that I'm a professional taco eater. It doesn't matter the type of taco, I'll eat it.
These Baked Chicken Tacos Are:
- Easy to make
- Made in 30 minutes
- Kid friendly
Ingredients For Baked Chicken Tacos
- Hard Taco Shells: Using hard tacos shells is key for this recipe. These are the taco shells that I normally have on hand.
- Chicken: You can use what you have, make your own or use store-bought rotisserie chicken. I try to plan these for when I know I will have leftover chicken that I need to use up.
- Taco Seasoning: I list out the spices that you need for making the taco seasoning at home (which I prefer because there's less salt) but you can use store-bought.
- Refried Beans: These add a creaminess to the tacos and help hold the ingredients in place.
- Peppers & Onions: We're sautéing one bell pepper and one small onion. If your family isn't a fan of these, especially the kids, you can omit these.
- Shredded Cheese: Use what you love! I love using pepperjack, colby jack, cheddar or even a combination of them all.
4 Steps To Baked Chicken Tacos
Now that we have a list of ingredients in the tacos, let's dive into how to make the chicken tacos. I love tacos, so I'm REALLY REALLY excited about this!
- Sauté the Peppers & Onions: You want to cook these until they are soft. This takes about 5-7 minutes over medium-high heat depending on the size of the pan that you're using.
- Add the Chicken & Taco Seasoning: To the softened peppers and onions, add the chopped/shredded chicken and taco seasoning. Give it a big stir to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Fill the Tacos: Place the taco shells into a baking pan and layer in the ingredients starting with the refried beans and ending with the cheese.
- Bake: You want to bake these until the cheese is fully melted.
Let the tacos cool a little bit, then serve.
Baked Chicken Tacos
- 12 hard taco shells
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 2 cups cooked and chopped/shredded chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (8 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- optional toppings: jalapeños, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, salsa, etc.
- Preheat the oven of 400°F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non stick spray. Place the tacos in the baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the olive oil, peppers and onions. Sauté for 7-8 minutes until the peppers and onions are soft. Add the cooked chicken and spices. Give it a stir to ensure that everything is evenly coated.
- Assemble the tacos: Spoon 1-2 Tablespoons of beans into the bottom of tacos. Add the chicken, peppers, and onions mixture. Then, top with the cheese.
- Bake for 6-10 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and the edges of the taco shells are gently browned. Remove from the oven and top with your favorites such as jalapenños, avocado, sour cream, etc. Serve immediately.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: The tacos are best when served immediately. The chicken/peppers/onions can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
- Chicken: You can either make chicken, use leftover chicken or a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- Taco Seasoning: I prefer to make my own taco seasoning (above) but feel free to use store-bought.
Leave a Reply