This outrageously flavorful and easy guacamole recipe comes together in just minutes. Made with classic ingredients like avocados, lime juice, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño and spices— it's a recipe that you'll make over and over again!
We take guacamole very seriously in this house— it's made often and devoured within minutes. Cinco de Mayo may have already passed but this guacamole doesn't need a holiday to be made!
Why You'll Love This Guacamole Recipe
- Insanely flavorful
- Easy to make
- 100% addictive
- Made with fresh ingredients
- Makes the perfect amount— 2 cups
- Not too spicy
Ingredients For Guacamole
- Avocados: You want to make sure that you're using ripe avocados— not super mushy but not too hard.
- Onion: Using red onion provides the most flavor, but you can also use white onion.
- Tomatoes: You don't need many—a little goes a long way in this recipe.
- Cilantro: Lotssss. Always need lots of fresh cilantro.
- Lime Juice: The lime juice helps prevent the avocados from turning while also providing flavor.
- Jalapeño: If you're not a fan of spicy guacamole, you can omit this. I normally toss in 1/2 a jalapeño with some of the steams and seeds (we love it spicy!) When I'm making it for my daughter, I omit it completely.
- Spices: For the best flavor, we're using salt, cumin, garlic powder and a touch of cayenne pepper.
Tips For How To Pick An Avocado
A question that I hear often is how to know if an avocado is ripe? When you're buying avocados, first think about when you'll be making the guacamole— if you want guacamole tonight, grab the ripe avocados otherwise grab more firm avocados.
- Ripe Avocados: You should be able to gently squeeze the avocado slightly and leave a slight indent. The stem attached should also pop off easily.
- Avoid Overripe Avocados: If the avocado has a missing stem or you leave more than a slight indent when you squeeze it, it's likely overripe.
- To Soften Hard Avocados: Toss the under ripe avocados on the counter next to bananas or tomatoes and leave at room temperature for 2 days.
- To Slow Down Ripening: If the avocado is ripe but you're not ready to use it, store it in the refrigerator and it will slow the process down.
How To Make Guacamole
When I say that this is an easy guacamole recipe— I mean it! It's just 2 steps!
- Chop Ingredients: Toss the tomatoes, cilantro, onion, cilantro and jalapeño into a blender (or finely mince.) Pulse until the ingredients are almost very finely minced.
- Add Avocados: Add the avocados, lime juice, and spices. Pulse (or mash) until just a few chunks remain.
Let’s Review This Guacamole
I don't want to stand in the way of you and this avocado perfection, so I'll keep this short. You need 6 ingredients plus a few spices like cumin, garlic powder and salt. It comes together in a food processor or the old-fashioned way— a bowl with a fork. You have guacamole perfection in just 10 minutes tops!
Scoop it up with some chips, warmed tortillas or slather it over toasted bread. No matter how you serve it, it's a recipe that you will make over and over again.
The Best Way To Store Guacamole
Place the guacamole in an airtight container, top with a little bit of lime juice and press plastic wrap directly on top of the guacamole then place the lid on top. This will minimize browning.
This is truly the only guacamole recipe that you’ll need.
Easy Guacamole Recipe
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- half of a jalapeño pepper, stem removed (with or without seeds)*
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, about half a bunch
- 3 large ripe avocados
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, and cilantro in a food food processor. Pulse a few times until the ingredients are finely minced.
- Add the avocados, lime juice, salt, cumin and garlic powder. Pulse a few times until the guacamole is almost smooth with smaller chunks of avocado. Serve with chips, tacos, etc.
- Jalapeño: You decide the spice of the guacamole. If you prefer it spicier like we do, add more seeds