This post was sponsored by Fresh From Florida as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central, however all opinions expressed are my own.
If you’re searching for an easy weeknight dinner recipe that satisfies and one that the family will love, look no further. These Mexican Stuffed Peppers are packed with flavor from the spices and come together in no time!
Why You’ll Love This Mexican Stuffed Pepper Recipe
It’s another one of those recipes that came together with what I had in the refrigerator and it truly impressed. After falling in love with it, I made the recipe again with a few tweaks. Here’s why you’ll love it:
- easy to pull together
- so much flavor from the spices
- a healthier recipe
- basically eating tacos
How to Make Easy Mexican Stuffed Peppers
I’m not kidding when it I say it’s an easy recipe.
- Cook the meat: Grab either ground turkey or beef, totally up to you! Sauté over medium-high heat for a few minutes. It won’t be completely cooked through — not to worry.
- Add the onions + jalapeño + green chilies: To the meat, you’ll add the onions, jalapeño, and green chilies to allow them to sweat.
- Add the spices + fresh garlic: Toss in the mix of spices and fresh garlic. Stir it together to make sure all the meat is coated evenly.
- Mix in the add-ins: Toss in the black beans and corn.
- Slice and fill the bell peppers: Fill the bell pepper halves completely full. I tend to overfill them, but the more the better!
- Top with cheese: To each bell pepper, top with your favorite shredded cheese. I prefer to use sharp white cheddar.
- Bake: That’s it!
Easy Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- 4 Fresh from Flordia bell peppers, any color, sliced in half and seeded
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 lb 93-97% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup diced onion, about 1/2 small onion
- 1 jalapeño, veined and seeded
- 1 (4 ounce) mild diced chilis
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained and rinsed*
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed*
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the bell pepper halves into a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside. Once the oven is pre-heated, bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, start the filling: heat the oil in a skillet (10 inch or larger) over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the ground meat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break the meat up as it cooks. Then add the onion, jalapeño, green chilis, garlic, and spices. Stir together and allow it to cook completely, about 5 minutes. You want it completely cooked. Once cooked, stir in the corn and black beans.
- Once the peppers are done, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Fill each with the ground turkey filling. You want to fill them all the way, with some heaping over. You want the filled packed in. Top each with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream, salsa, etc.
- Bell Peppers: Choose the colors that you love. I’m more of a red bell pepper fan, but no matter the color, these are delicious!
- Ground Meat: Any ground ground meat works. I prefer to use ground turkey (93-97%) to keep it on the lighter side. You can also use ground chicken too!
- Corn: You can also use frozen corn (do not thaw) – about 1 cup.
- Beans: Use what you have on hand. I’ve made this with a variety of beans (chickpeas, white beans, kidney beans, etc.)
- Shredded Cheese: Top with your favorite kind!