If you’re craving big flavor, make these salsa verde chicken enchiladas. These are bursting with flavor and easy to make. Follow this simple recipe to have dinner ready in no time at all and watch them disappear!
This recipe is brought to you in partnership with alfresco.
If you find yourself (1) with an enchilada craving, (2) in need of a new recipe to add into the dinner rotation, and/or (3) bored– I have just the recipe for you. Because if you’re going to make enchiladas, you might as well make a recipe that the whole family will love.
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- Sauté some garlic, onion, and green chilis together. This will be the flavor base of the enchiladas.
- Mix together the garlic/onion/green chilis mixture, cream cheese, shredded cheese, and al fresco Mild Mexican Style Chicken Sausage.
- Coat the bottom of the baking dish with the salsa verde, then spoon mixture into corn tortillas– or flour tortillas if you prefer– and place them into the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining salsa verde on top and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
It’s THAT easy!
Why You’ll Love These Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- With so few steps and using fully cooked chicken sausage, it makes a weeknight dinner a breeze.
- PACKED with flavor–Most of the flavor comes from the chicken sausage.
- Taco night is now every night.
- It’s the perfect recipe to include your little helpers.
- When we ARE able to gather together, it’s perfect for crowds.
Try my slow cooker verde chicken chili next!
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 and 1/2 cups salsa verde (green salsa)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilis
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) block cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- al fresco Mild Mexican Style Chicken Sausage, diced
- 12 regular sized corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spoon 1/2 cup of the salsa verde into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, green chilies, garlic, salt, and pepper. Allow them to cook together and soften for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and 1 cup of shredded cheese. Stir in the onion/green chilies mixture and the chicken sausage.
- Spoon 2-3 Tablespoons of the mixture into each tortilla and roll it up, placing each into the baking dish with the fold side down— this will help them stay closed. Repeat until all the tortillas are filled. Pour the remaining 1 cup of salsa verde over the rolled tortillas and sprinkle on the the rest— 1 cup— of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with cilantro, sour cream, avocado slices, and/or pickled jalapeños.
- Make Ahead Instructions: The enchiladas can be made through step 4, covered and refrigerated for the day before. The day of, bake as directed.
- Cream cheese: For the best results, use full fat and block style.
- Tortillas: Either corn of flour tortillas can be used, though I think the recipe tastes better using corn.
- Chicken: Any chicken (shredded, cubed, etc.) can be substituted.