This slow cooker verde chicken chili is homemade, full of flavor, satisfying, and easy to make. Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and dinner is done when you get home! Get creative with your toppings or use what you have on hand!
Here's the chili recipe that I was raving about a few weeks ago! It's the meal that I gobbled down, by myself, in just 2 days.
Not ashamed at all to admit that either.
I know, I know. It's not winning any awards for looks but stick with me here. Looks can be deceiving — this is an absolutely incredible chili recipe. It started from a combination of random food that I had in the pantry and refrigerator. I grabbed thawed chicken, leftover onion and jalapeño, cans of beans, a hidden can of green chilis, a half open jar of salsa verde, half a bag of frozen corn, and a tiny bit of cream cheese. I tossed in some bold spices, let it cook for 7 hours and here we are today with now one of my favorite dinner recipes.
Slow Cooker Verde Chicken Chili Ingredients
The other week I made this chicken chili again and was reminded why I love it so much. Not only is there juicy pulled chicken, beans, and corn in each bite — each sit in the creamy spiced goodness soaking up every ounce of flavor.
Each ingredient is important:
- Chicken: It wouldn't be called chicken chili without it! Feel free to use chicken breasts or thighs (just make sure they are skinless.)
- Beans: The beans help thicken the chili as it cooks and gives it a heartier texture. I used great northern beans this time, but feel free to use what you have on hand. I've also used pinto, garbanzo (chickpeas), cannellini beans.
- Corn: Gives a little texture variation to the chili.
- Onion: Flavor!
- Jalapeño: While adding flavor, it also adds a little spice to the chili. Feel free to omit if spice isn't your thing!
- Green Chilis: These aren't really spicy, but more add another depth of flavor throughout.
- Salsa Verde: So many levels of flavor within salsa verde.
- Chicken Broth: Flavvvor!
- Garlic + Spices + Lime: Each add even more flavor!
- Cream Cheese: Adds creaminess and evens out the spice level to the sauce.
How to Make Simple Slow Cooker Verde Chicken Chili
It's simple — after all, it is in the name. It's really just 3 steps. Let me teach you how to make it.
- Add the ingredients: You'll add in all the ingredients except the cream cheese to the slow cooker. Give it a big stir, put the lid on, and walk away.
- Shred the chicken: Remove the chicken, shred or chop, and then add it back in the slow cooker.
- Add the cream cheese: Add in the cubed cream cheese and give it a big stir. Put the lid on and cook for 10 more minutes (just to allow the cream cheese to fully melt.)
My Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes
Try some of my reader favorite dinner recipes made in the slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Turkey Meatballs
- My Favorite Minestrone Soup
- Lightened-Up Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- The Best Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Slow Cooker Verde Chicken Chili
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch + 1 Tablespoon water
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 – 2 lbs total)*
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilis
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced*
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed*
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained and rinsed,*
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 and 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth*
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon cumin (for that chili taste!)
- 2 ounces (about 1/4 cup) brick style cream cheese, cut into pieces
- optional for serving: cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado, chips
- Mix together the cornstarch and water in a small cup. Add all the ingredients (including the cornstarch mixture) except the cream cheese to the slow cooker. Give everything a stir as best you can to mix. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred into pieces, then add the chicken back to the slow cooker, and give it a big stir. Stir in the cream cheese until fully melted. Cover the slow cooker and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado, and/or chips. Store leftovers in a container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat as desired.