These are the softest and fluffiest vanilla cupcakes studded with rainbow sprinkles. Perfect for a birthday celebration!
ITS(not)MA BIRTHDAY! But it is Chris’ 30th birthday today so these are for to him. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If you know me in real life you know these two things to be true: 1) I believe that birthdays are theee best holiday of the year and 2) everything colorful, rainbow, sparkly, and sprinkles galore make me happy. Because of this, sprinkles inside cupcakes is a birthday requirement every. single. year.
So let’s kick off the birthday celebration with cupcakes studded with sprinkles. Because all birthdays deserve them!
Whenever I make a batch of these cupcakes (even leaving out the sprinkles !!!) they are an instant hit. Friends gobble them up. Friends that typically don’t like sweet even gobble them up. And the birthday guy gobbles them up. Needless to say, these taste 1,000% better than anything on the store shelves.
Let’s dive into the recipe. ↓
We’re using everyday ingredients: all-purpose flour, leavening agents (baking powder & baking soda), unsalted butter, white sugar, egg whites*, vanilla extra, butter extract (if you have it!), yogurt, and milk. That’s it! The dry ingredients are tossed together by hand. We’re letting the mixer do the work to combine the butter, sugar, egg whites, extracts, and yogurt. Then in goes the dry ingredients and slowly pouring in the milk.
*Don’t toss those egg yolks! Make some cookies instead.
And we can’t forget… the sprinkles!
One BIG thing to remember: fill your cupcake liners only 1/2. Less is more. 1/2 full doesn’t seem like a lot and you may even question it, but don’t add more — it won’t be a pretty sight.
Wait until you smell these cupcakes baking in your kitchen… it’ll be like 100 cupcake candles lit in your house. SMELLS SO GOOD.
Funfetti Birthday Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup 2% or whole milk
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1 and 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar (aka confectioners' sugar)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Line a second pan with 5 liners - this recipe makes about 17 cupcakes. Set aside.
- Make the cupcakes: Whisk the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitting with the paddle attachment, beat the room temperature butter on high until smooth and creamy - about 1-2 minutes. Add the sugar and beat on high speed for 2 minutes or until creamed together. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the egg whites, vanilla extract1, butter extract2, and yogurt3. Beat on medium-high until combined. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients until just combined. With the mixer still on low, slowly pour in the milk4 until combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be slightly thick. Fold in the sprinkles5 but be careful and gentle as they can bleed color.
- Spoon the batter into the liners filling only 1/2 full to avoid spilling over the sides. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy - about 2-3 minutes. With the mixer on low, add 5 cups of powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 full minutes. Add up to 1/2 cup more confectioners' sugar if frosting is too thin or a Tablespoon of cream if frosting is too thick. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes. I used the Wilton 8B piping tip. Start in the center of the cupcake and swirl upward. That's it! Top with additional sprinkles, if desired.
PIN IT for later!