This creamy banana oatmeal is a morning favorite. It’s made with rolled oats, mashed bananas, chia seeds, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and a touch of pure maple syrup. It’s the perfect make-ahead breakfast for the week!
Ah, to dream.
I grew up not liking oatmeal. Weird? Probably. But I was more of cream of wheat girl. The texture of oatmeal really got to me. The weird mushy-ness that had a little bite to it. I couldn’t handle it.
It wasn’t until a few years ago that I started to love oatmeal. Like, really love it. (Conveniently it’s the #1 food to eat while breastfeeding too!) I think the turning point for me liking oatmeal was making it “from scratch.” I say it like that because I mean not from a packet.
Banana Oatmeal Ingredients
This banana oatmeal combines simple and healthy ingredients and can be adapted for any allergies or preferences. That why I love it so much! You need:
- Oats: I recommend using old-fashioned whole oats for a hearty texture. If you eat gluten free, use certified GF oats.
- Milk: Use the variety of milk that you drink. This oatmeal works with whole milk, almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, skim milk, and any other milk out there.
- Bananas: Adds flavor, natural sweetness and binds.
- Chia Seeds: I add these for a little something extra, but you can omit if you want.
- Maple Syrup: I recommend pure maple syrup for the best flavor, but other unrefined sugars such as coconut sugar or honey work too. (If you’re giving this to a child under 1 year old, do not use honey.)
- Vanilla & Cinnamon: Each add a satisfying flavor.
This oatmeal combination has been on repeat lately— my daughter Elle LOVES it! I knew I had to share it with you.
How To Make Creamy Banana Oatmeal
What I love most about oatmeal is how easy it is to make. Sure, it requires a pot but it’s worth it when it only takes 5-7 minutes and is THIS IS GOOD.
- Combine the Dry Ingredients: Into a mixing bowl stir together the oats, cinnamon and chia seeds.
- Heat the Milk Mixture: Over medium-high heat, bring the milk, vanilla and maple syrup to a boil.
- Add the Dry Ingredients: Add the oat mixture to the milk. Reduce the heat to medium and allow the oats to simmer, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the Mashed Bananas: Remove from the heat and stir in the mashed bananas.
What I love most about this recipe is that I can make it at the beginning of the week and have breakfast ready all week! With minimal time in the morning, this prep helps tremendously.
Creamy Banana Oatmeal
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 bananas, mashed
- Combine the oats, cinnamon, and chia seeds into a bowl and stir together. Set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, add the milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil the mixture to a boil, then stir in the oats mixture. Reduce the heat to medium-low, simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring consistently until the oatmeal thickens.
- Remove from the heat and add in mashed bananas. Serve immediately. Top with walnuts, bananas, chia seeds, etc.
- Make Ahead Instructions: The oatmeal can be made stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. This is the perfect breakfast meal prep!
- Oats: If needing this recipe to be gluten-free, use certified gluten-free oats.
- Milk: Any type of milk can be used for this recipe. I often use oat or almond milk.
- Chia Seeds: These can be omitted if you don’t like them.